(Picture: DPC first anniversary)
The Darwin Presbyterian Church was planted in January 2007. It is the only Presbyterian Church in the whole of the Northern Territory and its nearest Presbyterian Church of Australia neighbours are in Mt Isa (1600km away), or the northern suburbs of Perth, WA (4000km away), or Port Augusta, SA (2700km away).
It is an outreach of the Presbyterian Inland Mission. This Mission was started in 1912 (as the Australian Inland Mission) by Rev Dr John Flynn.
Pastor Rob Duncanson was initially sent jointly by a partnership between the PIM and the Melton Presbyterian Church for 6 months to establish the church here. During that time, his appointment was extended for four years. He now sees himself as staying here for many years to come.
In June 2010, a second congregation was formed in Darwin’s rural fringe. It meets in Fred’s Pass / Bees Creek area and is right next door to where the Northern Territory Government plans to establish the new city of Weddell, which is projected to have 50,000 residents by 2030.
The congregation has been delighted to welcome many visitors from all over Australia and some from overseas as well - especially during the Dry Season. It is a tangible reminder that we have a genuine unity in the Lord Jesus Christ.